An effective compliance system ensures that a business operates in line with legal requirements and internal standards.
When compliance rules are properly implemented and applied in practice, the business can avoid or minimize numerous risks, most importantly commercial abuses, financial offences, dishonesty of managers and staff, improper documentation, conflicts of interest, criminal or fiscal responsibility of company officials and employees, unfair competition, discrimination and mobbing, data protection violations, data loss, cybercrime, and corruption.
We have a wealth of experience in introducing compliance rules and procedures at companies, ongoing cooperation with compliance management departments, and remedial measures to address the consequences of absence or improper application of compliance systems. We assist clients in developing and implementing internal procedures, policies, and codes of ethics and best practice. We also conduct audits of processes and procedures followed by businesses, and advise on how to remedy any identified irregularities. We support clients in the event of inspections, in particular developing an optimal strategy, providing legal assistance, and representing clients in proceedings, including criminal, employment and competition cases. When needed we can quickly assemble an interdisciplinary team of experts with the experience required to meet the client’s needs in the specific situation.
Examples of our work in the compliance field:
- Developing a procedure to be followed when an employee is suspected of committing a crime, and advice on implementing the procedure, for a company from an international group in the packaging production industry
- Advice on development and implementation of a code to ethics to be followed by a company in the direct selling industry
- Adaptation to Polish regulations and advice on implementation of a global policy for use of company cars, including for private purposes, in an international group of companies in the IT industry
- Adaptation to Polish regulations and advice on implementation of guidelines for dealings between senior management and companies in an international group in the construction industry
- Conducting audits of documentation used by members of the Polish Direct Selling Association in terms of compliance with the association’s code of ethics for member companies
- Development of strategy and advice in a case involving an employee’s violation of internal procedures for gift-giving and customer relations in a company from an international construction group
- Development of strategy and advice in a case involving a manager’s violation of the policy for settlement of business expenses in a company from an international IT group
- Development of strategy, advice and representation in criminal proceedings for a company from an international publishing group which suffered a loss as a result of an employee’s intentional violation of rules for distribution of publications
- Development of strategy, advice and representation in an employment case and criminal proceedings for a company from the FMCG sector which suffered a loss as a result of an employee’s intentional violation of rules for sale of products and settlement of transactions
- Advice in a case involving violation of rules for distribution of samples by an employee of the sales division in an international publishing group
- Advice in a case involving an employee’s disclosure of trade secrets to an immediate competitor
- Representation at trial in cases seeking to recover funds lost in cyber attacks.
We also conduct training for staff of compliance divisions and corporate managers.
We also advise clients on: